3FX ANIMATION PROCESS
Appropriate timeline for a 3 minute animation.
3FX requests your approval before moving forward to to the next stage.
SCRIPT – STAGE 1
First, after a few conversations and a lot of research, we’ll develop the voiceover narrative that will serve as the structural basis for the animation to come.
We want to know:
- Does our script tell your story clearly and accurately?
- Is the language appropriate for your intended audience?
- If we estimate 120 words per minute, is the script an appropriate length?
MOOD BOARD – STAGE 2
We’ll share a few images from other sources and get your thoughts so we can get a better sense of your aesthetic.
- Do you want all your animation to be soft and calm? Dark and mysterious?
- Bright and cheerful?
- Should the characters be highly detailed to convey scientific accuracy, or simple and stylized to focus on your message?
We want to understand your needs before we create a custom look for you.
STORYBOARD – STAGE 3
Next, we’ll take your final script and sketch out our ideas of how to best tell your story.
- Are the actions appropriate?
- Are we showing what you want to show when you want to show it?
- Is the overall flow of the story in line with your vision?
FIRST PASS/STYLE FRAMES – STAGE 3
This is our first draft setting up your story in 3D software. We’ll include some rendered images to visualize what it will eventually look like, but the animation won’t include lighting or textures yet.
This is a great time to discuss possible edits before moving on to the next pass. At this stage, we want to know: are our camera moves, character actions and story flow conveying your story clearly and effectively?
SECOND PASS- STAGE 5
We take all your feedback from the first pass and integrate it into second pass. It will look close to final at this stage, but the low-resolution video may still look grainy until we get your final comments and create high-quality renders.
FINAL PASS – STAGE 6
We’ll polish everything up and deliver the finished, high-resolution product to you. We are still happy to make small text changes at this stage. We hope you love the final result!
Prior to the creation of any 3D medical animation project, 3FX recommends that all clients consider the following project considerations.
This thought process is a key element for all parties to mutually understand the intended goals, key messages, and budget requirements for a specific 3D animation project.
- Where and how will the initial project be viewed? Congress or event, sales representative training or physician meeting, etc.? This will assist in determining the final media and display format. If for use at a congress, we may need booth specs and display system information.
- What is the main purpose of the project? To educate peer groups, internal communication, sales representative education & training, investor relations, external marketing?
- Who will the primary target audience be? Specialists, Physicians, Patients, Sales Reps, Investors, others?
- Length of intended script? (3FX Tip: The average attention span and typical target length is 3 minutes.) Will a script or content outline be provided or will 3FX be required to develop?
- What is the target completion date, or first utilization date for the project?
- Is there is a preset budget or budgetary range for the project?
- Will 3FX be providing storyboards, narration record, custom music & sound effects? Will live action video production be incorporated?
- Are there established guidelines for Medical/Legal/Regulatory review? What is the duration for review and approval?
- Who will make-up the project team? Will 3FX have access to the scientific research team? This is important if scientific accuracy is to be maintained.
- Are there possible additional uses for the original project i.e., website content, physician/ patient version, high-resolution marketing imagery, interactive exhibits/ experiences, AR, VR etc.